[How are you today?] I’ve decided to try and learn Swahili, at least basic conversational Swahili. Fortunately, or actually unfortunately in this case, every here in Nairobi speaks English, so I’m not forced to learn it. I’ve actually been really surprised at how many people know and use English daily, across all economic spectrums it seems. On Sunday while waiting for a matatu, the MOST adorable 4 year old ran up to me and just kept yelling (in English) “HOW ARE YOU? HOW ARE YOU? HOW ARE YOU?”.....I couldn’t even get a response in. I’ve never had someone so excited to know how I am. I just wanted to hug him silly.
The remainder of my week, and the weekend was great. I explored a little on Saturday (attempting to find a ceramics studio here), shopped a little, befriended a book store owner and had a fun night with new friends + coworkers (who are friends too). For the record, Acumen > Dalberg in flip-cupping, despite maaaybe one or two bad runs. If you were there, you know what I mean (and that I’m right!). If you weren’t, well, the above summarizes what you need to know!
FYI, since I don’t have internet at home yet – I haven’t been able to make these posts as often as I’d like. I pretty much type them at home, and then post them during a break at work – but my days are relatively long, and busy, and so I don’t get much of a chance to do more. This also means I haven’t browsed on facebook in forever – and so anything you get from me on facebook, is probably from my blackberry! (Thank god for my blackberry). Btw, I am an active member of blackberry messenger so let me know if you are too, and I’ll add you.
FYI, since I don’t have internet at home yet – I haven’t been able to make these posts as often as I’d like. I pretty much type them at home, and then post them during a break at work – but my days are relatively long, and busy, and so I don’t get much of a chance to do more. This also means I haven’t browsed on facebook in forever – and so anything you get from me on facebook, is probably from my blackberry! (Thank god for my blackberry). Btw, I am an active member of blackberry messenger so let me know if you are too, and I’ll add you.
Anyways, I saw the movie The Visitor last night (rented a DVD). It was a really great movie that I recommend watching, and just makes you reflect on how much relationships of any kind, change our life. At work the other day, we had a workshop that started out with us drawing out a social identity map for ourselves. It’s basically a drawing with concentric circles that categorizes you core, your choices, and what you were given (with no choice). When I was filling out my core (what’s important to me, my values) – the first thing I thought of was my friends and family, and the relationships that I share with them. It was easily the most important thing to me, and has in fact, changed my life.
Honestly, there have been times I have wondered how wise it is to make relationships my #1 priority in life (when you can focus on your education, your career or a million other things), but I know that couldn’t be me, even if I tried. I love that I’m a people person, and I hope everyone in my life knows the value I place on our relationship. I know the mistakes I have made as well, and I really do reflect on them. Anyways, if you feel like it, I’m interested to hear what your most important value is, if you had to choose (leave a comment).
I think being a people person is another reason why I am here. I love seeing, and being a part of the effect that this type of work has – either on a large scale like what is accomplished through the work here at Acumen, or even on a smaller scale where it’s person to person. I’m still formulating the plan for my future, but I know that 1) it will involve relationships and valuing relationships as part of its core and 2) it will be focused on making people’s lives better as a direct impact. Yes, I know this is vague, but I’m hoping for the apple to drop sometime soon.
Other mini-updates:
1) Ventured around a Maasai-market on Sunday. Didn’t buy anything yet, but eyed a few things for purchase. Also learned a new word - Karibu! [Welcome]
2) Got invited to join the Rotary Club of Langata after an encounter in a bookstore – could be a nice way to meet some more people
3) Love passion fruit juice served in restaurants here….is passion fruit an actual fruit?
4) Am aching to travel outside of Nairobi into Kenya, and nearby countries as well – sponsors anyone?? I will love you forever....and I'm all about relationships, remember??
Alrighty, that’s all for now.
Leave me some love!
0 comments:
Post a Comment